At the end of last week started the rumours saying that Volkswagen was having problems at some of its factories. The information is confirmed and the manufacturer German has announced that stop the production in six of its plants due to problems with some suppliers. This will affect to thousands of workers and also to two of those models more successful of the brand: the Golf and the Passat.
The suppliers of which speak are CarTRIM and is Westfalen, that is responsible of provide seats and parts of steel to make them boxes of change, respectively. Without these components in factories, Volkswagen It can not cope production of its vehicles. This lack of supply has forced to interrupt the activity in some factories of way temporary.
The issue is that those suppliers require to Volkswagen a compensation of 500 million of euros. This is because the mark German has broken a contract of supply that entered in force the year that comes. As still is is fulfilling a contract earlier, the judged of Braunschweig has given it reason to Volkswagen and the suppliers will have that resume its activity immediately.
The fact is that CarTRIM and is Westfalen still not have restarted the provisioning. Therefore some plants will have to stop is as said above. In total this situation will affect to some 27.700 workers of the brand. Models so important as the Volkswagen Golf or the Passat is come affected, as well as multitude of components for the production of these vehicles.
These are the six factories that halt their activity in the next few days:
- Emden: production Volkswagen Passat. Closure of the 18 to the 24 of August. 7,500 employees affected.
- Wolfsburg: production Volkswagen Golf. Closing of the 22 to the 27 of August. 10,000 employees affected.
- Zwickau: production Volkswagen Golf and Passat. Closing from 22 to 26 August. 6,000 employees affected.
- Kassel: components of the transmission and systems of exhaust. Closing of the 25 to the 29 of August. 1,500 employees affected.
- Salzgitter: components of the engine. Closed from 24 to 30 August. 1,400 employees concerned.
- Braunschweig: chassis components and plastic parts. Closing from 22 to 29 August. 1,300 employees concerned.
Source – Volkswagen